Washing your face seems like a simple task, right? But it can still turn out that you may be doing it wrong after all.
While there is no one-size-fits-all solution to face washing, it is important to avoid some common errors that can lead to long-term skin problems.
1. Not Washing Your Hands
While this may seem like an obvious step, many people forget to wash their hands before washing their face. The result? Dirt and grime from your hands are transferred to your skin. Always remember to wash your hands before touching your face.
2. Using the Same Washcloth Daily
If you use a washcloth to wipe your face, make sure that it’s clean too. Do not use a washcloth that was used to clean other parts of the body and do not use the same cloth for more than a month. Make sure to wash it at least every two weeks.
3. Washing with Water that Is Too Hot or Cold
When it comes to washing your face, you don’t want to use water that is too hot or cold.
Using hot water often can further dry up the skin and can cause inflammation such as redness and itchiness especially with people with dry and sensitive skin. Similarly, cold water can also drain moisture from your skin causing it to look dull and flaky.
Instead, use lukewarm water that will hydrate your face without irritating it.
4. Using Wipes as a Substitute for Washing
There’s no denying how convenient facial wipes can be. In a pinch, a makeup wipe can be used to remove stubborn mascara or foundation. However, a wipe is no replacement for a good face wash. You may however, use facial wipes before washing your face
5. Exfoliating Too Often
Exfoliation is an important part of any good skincare routine, but exfoliating your skin too often can have negative side effects and even hurt your skin.
Many exfoliators tend to be harsh on the skin and if you use them too often, their abrasive nature could lead to irritation, damage, and accelerated aging.
6. Using the Wrong Face Wash
While there are countless face washes on the market, not all are great for all skin types. You also don’t want to choose a face wash based on smell or texture alone. Instead, look for a product designed for your unique skin type, whether oily, dry, normal, mature, or sensitive.
We recommend the following face wash products:
- Gentle Foaming Wash. A soap-free wash suitable for all skin types, including sensitive complexions prone to redness. The gentle face wash is infused with soothing phytonutrients like chamomile, azulene, calendula, indian frankincense herbs (boswellia serrata), and green tea extract which work together to clean and calm skin.
- Dermal Balancing Cleanser. A citrus based cleanser suitable for all skin types especially oil, sensitive skin. Formulated with grapefruit oil, a natural antibacterial ingredient, and aloe vera, a natural moisturizer that hydrates the skin. Dermal Balancing Cleanser is also formulated with Salicylic acid that helps to remove oil and bacteria build up.
- Purifying Aza Cleanser. A mild wash that works well for oily skin. With a pH of 5.5 to 6.0, the cleaner helps address redness and inflammation which is common with certain skin conditions like rosacea and eruptive breakouts. Dr. Sylvia’s Purifying Aza Cleanser also helps regulate hyperactivity of the sebaceous glands.
Washing your face may seem like an easy task, but there are numerous mistakes that can be made. By familiarizing yourself with these mistakes and assessing your face wash products, you can maintain a healthier skincare routine.
To purchase the mentioned products, visit this page.